17 April 2009

The lady again


As I've said in a previous post, often on my ride bike home I come across this seemingly continental lady cycling the other way - into town. Well dressed in civy clothes (in winter these include leather boots and quilted coat), her bike very much a 'town' one, built for comfort (though I did notice a change from the original one - and hoped it wasn't due to theft). And no helmet - just like in the continent, some may say.

Worringly though, yesterday I saw her again, but this time... wearing a helmet. I sincerely hope this has not come about due to an accident or mishap, or that at any rate it was a near miss and no actual harm came to her. I can't imagine, though, that she's shifted to wearing a helmet out of a desire to keep up with UK fashion. I suspect that, like the rest of us, lack of safety (perceived or real) has led her to adopt this (perceived or real) safety measure.

Quosque tandem, Catilina...

2 comments:

townmouse said...

She probably got sick of all her family and friends going 'I hope you wear a helmet out there on your bike...' It gets very tiring arguing with well-meaning people some times

cocosolis said...

Indeed - life's too short to have an intellectual discussion about the evidence on helmets - or lack of it. But habits are formed which die hard - when I did the C2C last year, I found it hard not to wear the helmet even when I was slowly going, on a hot day, along a quiet cycle path in open moorland with no major threats around me whatsoever.